Malcolm attended the University of British Columbia graduating with a Bachelor of Commerce Degree in marketing with advanced studies in economics and psychology. He and his wife Jan have made St. Albert their home for more than 35 years. They each have two adult children.
Following graduation from UBC, he enjoyed a successful life long career with Imperial Oil holding a number of management positions related to the marketing operations of petroleum and fertilizer products. Through this work experience, he gained expertise in working with people, supervisory skills, marketing, negotiation skills, budget management, project management, business operations and planning processes. He operated a management consulting business focused on health, safety, environmental and risk management.
He is currently a Director on the St. Albert - Edmonton Constituency Conservative Board and President of the Wildrose St. Albert Constituency Association. He has led a number of business and community organizations including being Chair of the St. Albert Economic Development Advisory Committee, Chair and current Treasurer of the Northern Alberta Business Incubator, Chair of the SEE St. Albert Tourism Committee as well as being an active member of the Chamber of Commerce.
He is an active member of the St. Albert Men's Slowpitch ball league where he had the pleasure of serving as President for 13 years. He is also a member of the Sturgeon Valley Athletic Club where he can be seen regularly working out as health and wellness are important in maintaining a quality of life.
Malcolm Kayaking on the Sturgeon River
Sturgeon County - St. Albert Economic Development Symposium - 2010
During his term as Councillor and afterwards, he served on a number of Committees and Boards that included:
- St. Albert Economic Development Advisory Committee
- Environmental Advisory Committee
- St. Albert Housing Society and is currently a Director
- Community Services Advisory Board
- Physicians Attraction Task Force
- Capital Region Land Use Committee
- Municipal Governance Review Committee
- Social Master Plan Steering Committee
- Intermunicipal Advisory Committee
- Elected to the Board of Directors for the Alberta Capital Finance Authority - 2013 to 2016
- Incubation Strategy Committee - 2015
Malcolm is a proven leader, has integrity, is fiscally responsible, has a strong work ethic, is a team player, is energetic, a good listener and communicator, is results driven, and makes informed decisions using common sense and logic.
I am running for mayor as I believe I am the most qualified candidate to lead the next Council in moving St. Albert forward in a positive direction. My qualifications are:
- Leadership: I am a proven leader in business and the community. I have served on numerous industry, political, and community committees or boards as a director, chair or president. To name a few, Canadian Association of Agricultural Retailers Safety Committee, St. Albert Wildrose Constituency Association, St. Albert - Edmonton Conservative Constituency, Alberta Capital Finance Association, and St. Albert Men's Slowpitch Association.
- Integrity: I do what I say I will do. I'm transparent and accountable. I make informed decisions rather than decisions that are politically motivated.
- Experience: I have sat on Council and numerous committees or boards so I have the knowledge and understanding of how Council functions as well as the issues and opportunities.
My career with Imperial Oil in various management positions provided me with the business skills essential for managing an enterprise whether it is a business, volunteer organization or a municipality. This work experience is a strength I bring to the table so essential for the mayor of any city.
- Skill Set: I am a leader that listens, builds consensus, communicates, is goal focused, a strategic planner, results driven, a hard worker, relationship builder and a team player.
- Common Sense and Logic: I make informed decisions using common sense and logic. I do my research and am well prepared before making decisions.
- Commitment: My track record confirms that once I take on a task or a responsibility, I am totally committed to do my best for the best chances for a successful outcome.
- Independent: I am my own person and not aligned with special interest groups.
- Professional: A mayor has a role of representing the city so it is important that in all aspects the mayor acts in a professional manner. In all my business and volunteer experiences I hold myself to a highly ethical standard.
The following are a number of accomplishments I achieved while on Council and serving on volunteer organizations.
- 2010 - 2013 held tax increases to an average of less than 3%.
- Lead role in successfully having the "Employment Lands" zoned to attract light industrial and commercial development.
- Championed the Sturgeon Medical Arts Center to attract new physicians and related medical services to meet the growing and aging needs of the community with a prominent property corporation. I will put this back on the table.
- Successful in realizing construction of the St. Albert Housing society Big Lake Pointe housing project and the All Senior's Care assisted housing development.
- Council Representative on the approved Social Master Plan Steering Committee.
- As President of the St. Albert Men's Slowpitch Association oversaw redevelopment of Meadowview ball diamonds including diamond lighting and washroom facilities at no cost to taxpayers.
- As Chair of the Northern Alberta Business Incubator was able to expand to a second location in 2008.
- As current President of the St. Albert Wildrose Legacy Constituency, grew the Board to fifteen members and increased its membership and funding.
Receiving a grant cheque from the province with
MLA Ken Allred and Dar Schwanbeck, NABI Managing Director